Macros

I cut another row of two holes into the waste-board. I was aware that until I replaced the motor coupler in the z-axis there was a potential that the worm-screws would work there way loose and I wouldn’t be able to lift the router so I needed a way of cutting safely. I opted to try out the macro feature of the Universal G-Code Sender software.

This feature allows you to assign a series of G-Code commands to the buttons available. I decided to assign the x and y axis movement to one button and the z axis movement to another so I can cut with one button and if the router has cleared the material I can then issue the movement command. I deicide to raise and lower the z axis multiple times taking 3 or 4 cuts to finish a hole lifting the router clear of the material each time. This allowed me to keep an eye on the router in case a worm screw falls. I now have another set of holes cut and a bit more knowledge around G-Code and the software. Again I had a problem with the worm screw, this time loosing one completely. The sooner I can get this replaced the better.

That morning the lead screw had arrived but there was a bit of an issue, it’s too wide! I originally designed the z-axis with a slim solid coupler so it would fit in-between the bearing blocks but this one was around 4mm to wide. I had lost a motor coupler length in the distance that the z-axis could travel. To correct this I would need to cut a new larger tool base to allow for the extra bearing separation and in turn I would need a wider z-axis supports as the bearing bars would move. I opted to carry on and finish the machine and put this on the fix list.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*