Dealing With Noise: Part 2

My focus was to remove the flange type bearing from the bottom of the z-axis and replace it with a riser type so I can use the flange bearing in front of the x-axis motor coupler. This would mean I have two matching bearings along the x-axis. It will also allow me to stretch the lead-screw in an attempt to eliminate the vibration. The riser bearing will be attached to the bottom of the z-axis which I decided to do with yet some more acrylic. I added some vinyl to take up the slack between the acrylic and the side of the bearing so it would sit flush. <picture needed> The bearing was prepared and ready to go. I lightly clamped the bearing to the bottom of the z-axis locked in the lead-screw via the worm-screws on the bearing and checked the z-axis was moving smoothly before transferred the holes for drilling the bottom of the z-axis.

I attached the z-axis bearing and put back together the axis .

My focus was now on building the x-axis bearing assembly that will stretch the lead-screw. I attach the flange bearing to a peace of acrylic which will clear the motor coupler via plastic spacers that was left over from an old TV wall mount. Two bolts at the end of the acrylic will lock the whole assembly to the x-axis support. The idea is before completely locking down the bolts, the bearing is locked via the worm screw tight around the lead-screw allowing it to be be pulled taught when the locking bolts are tightened.

<image needed>

I put the machine back together (again) made a few more minor mods such as shortening long bolts and laid the waste-board. I then gave the machine a run, it was quieter but not as quiet as I would like. Thinking logically I wouldn’t hear the noise when the router was cutting so I think I will wait until I have a new motor coupler and try again.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*