After returning from the Monaco GP I have been on and off with the project over the past 3 month or so building the z-axis and tool mount (of which I was having difficulty in coming up with a solution to mount the thing). I first fashioned the tool mount from wood, this didn’t really work with what I had to hand so I decide to use the metal which I had previously salvaged from the steel sides of my old kitchen drawers and aluminium supports from my parents old shower.
Progress is going slow in this area and I reservations over the limitations of my tools and the strength of the materials that I am working with.
But I had a stroke of luck. I decided to put my laptop (another skip find) on facebay and believe it or not the buyer wanted it for his CNC build! We got chatting and I showed him the machine and explained the problems I was having attaching the tool. He had the same problem but solved it by using U-bolts which are normally used to attach exhausts to the bottom of a car. He also remarked on the router which he had also picked as his weapon of choice, it was perfect for the job (which showed my research paid off)! He did clocked the build quality of the x-axis and said the first thing he would do is use the machine to cut better supports.
He left parting knowledge and money for his laptop and I immediately went online and ordered some U-bolts were ordered in a flash.